Tuesday 15 April 2014

Feminist, not Femi-Nazi


In the ever-changing, ever-growing world of 21st Century feminists, a lot of their ideas are misunderstood by the rest of society. Seeing as mankind is supposed to be the most superior, most intelligent specimen of life the world has to offer, it is difficult to see how so many people could treat other human beings as 'different.' No doubt many of you who read this blog among others do not feel a need for 'feminism' in this day and age, but when sick comments such as the ones below are still being shamelessly passed around on social media, where millions of people have access to them, it is clear to see we still have a long way to go. 



Just because women in this country are allowed to vote, that does not mean the UK is completely equal.

Some common misconceptions about Feminism

1. Feminists are all 'dykes' who burn their bras and refuse to shave.
I don't know about you, but I'd class hair removal (or a preference not to go through the pain of it) as a personal issue based on appearance, not based on whether or not you believe in the equality of  the sexes. And as for burning bras, why would a woman deny herself of essential comfort? The idea that women mutilate their bodies with razors and make up simply to please a member of the opposite sex is - to be quite frank - bullshit. Everyone can be selfish once in a while, and I personally use make up and shave my legs for my own personal satisfaction with my appearance, not for my boyfriend and not to attract anyone. 

2. Feminism is female supremacy, not equality.
According to the Oxford dictionary, the definition of feminism is as follows: "The advocacy of women’s rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes." For this reason, it confuses me how a mission to equalise males and females alike has been misinterpreted as a battle for female dominance in what is currently a predominantly male-dominated society. If feminists hated men, how would we achieve equality?

3. Feminists are aggressive, disruptive and overbearing.
Although some go further than others, I don't think there'd be any point in being a feminist - or a member of any kind of equal rights movement for that matter - unless you vehemently agree with it. Many have a strong passion towards helping others, women in this case, but there are always a few who spend 24 hours a day angry and bitter because not everyone believes in what they believe. To them I would simply say, keep trying to persuade others' opinions but don't change it by force. I have always resented the idea of one person or a group of people ramming their ideas down other people's throats, a practice I seem to have been on the receiving end of on numerous occasions in my life, as have many of you, no doubt. Forcing my beliefs onto other people when I hate it so much myself would make me a hypocrite. 

4. Only women can identify as feminists.
Although I'd say it surprises me more when women say they do not believe in feminism (who would want to be classed as inferior after all?), we are certainly not a female-only, exclusive movement. If you believe that men and women should be economically, politically and socially equal, guess what, you're a feminist. A large number of males in this country join the fight for equality everyday, and most of my male friends consider themselves to be feminists. When asked if they identify as a feminist, a friend of mine said, "I think sexism is wrong and that all genders are equal. That should be reflected in all areas of society." Forgive me if I'm wrong, but that doesn't sound to me like an answer from a person who restricts himself from an organisation considered to be female-only.

Although there are many more misconceptions, those are probably among a few of the most common (and most confusing) ones I hear everyday. When a person says they are a feminist, they should not be ridiculed and laughed at, nor should they be shied away from or regarded as men-haters. We may have come a long way since the days of the fight for suffrage, but it's not even close to being over yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment