Monday 12 May 2014

Just a clarification...


I know I haven't posted in a while but I need to clear something up... I just shaved my legs, and it was like a religious experience. I have the most overwhelming urge to run downstairs to my little sister and preach to her about how amazing my legs are. Yes, I shave, I wear make-up, and I wear skirts - shock, horror!! - as many females (feminist and otherwise) do. But you see, I have an issue, ladies. As much as it seems like I'm just blithering on aimlessly about my legs/makeup/whatever, it seems to be quite an touchy subject at the moment. 



Because women are often bought up with the notion that they should shave etc etc out of care for one's own "personal hygiene", whilst it is acceptable for men to parade around without a single inch of their body hairless, many feminists have decided to rebel against the norm and hold two fingers up to that idea. All I have to say about that is: "That's fantastic! I completely agree with you, down with the patriarchy!" etc etc.
But the thing is, not every female does so because they're told to do so. What if you want to shave and wear make up out of personal preference? Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought feminism was all about acceptance and tolerance, not attacking anyone who doesn't want to join the revolt. 


This isn't a rant, it's just a clarification. I don't like waking up in the morning to be told I 'can't be a feminist' because I shave. That makes you as bad as the people who tell you that you need to. 

To cut a long story short, if you shave, that's great. If you don't, that's great, too. You wear make-up? Good for you. You don't? Fair enough. But none of this makes you any less of a feminist, am I right, ladies?


No comments:

Post a Comment