Monday 19 May 2014

My eyes are up here



The sad, sad truth about today's society, is that some people seem to have an issue with the female anatomy. And the male anatomy. And the human anatomy in general. My school dress code reads "Skirts MUST NOT be worn any more than 5cm above the knee", and if a girl's shoulders are visible then she may as well be parading around the school grounds completely naked. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I didn't know that legs and shoulders were generally considered 'sexy'. After all, have you ever heard any teenage boys say "Wow, look at the shoulders on her"?

Oddly, the excuse many schools uses to support their 'no skin showing but hands and face' rule is the globally-known fact that every boy in the entire universe obviously gets so easily distracted the second they see a square inch of flesh. Sorry, but don't you think it's a bit unfair on the boys to label them all as savage beasts with a lack of self-control? And don't you think it's a bit unfair to punish the entire female population of schools across Britain because of a minority of perverts?

During the second half of my double history lesson this afternoon, my eyes began to wander round the classroom (as they generally do after an hour and a half of sitting in the same place). I spotted a boy across the other side of the room *staring* at my chest, and I mean staring. It may have been an innocent eyes-are-out-of-focus moment, but knowing the boy as well as I do, I doubt it. I was so infuriated, I felt like standing up in front of my entire history class, pointing at him and screaming "My eyes are up here!!", but of course, there's not much you can do in silence. Unfortunately, it's not the first time I've had to fake-cough to revert someone's attention to my face.

"Why are your shorts so short?"
Hm, let me think. Firstly, because they're SHORTS (the clue is kind of in the name), and secondly, I look fabulous. 
Why do the people of today feel the need to sexualise body parts which are not remotely sexual? 

Yet another friendly blog post seems to have turned into a rant. Sorry, but it needed to be said.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, loving your blog btw
    I think that as a man, something needs to be done to educate boys not to view women the way that society has made them view women as glorified sex objects
    I think that the only way this can be done is to make sure that more men support feminist causes
    . look at mlk March on Washington I'm 1963. Both black and white people came out in support and when it comes to sexism the same needs to be done. Men need to support women to stamp out sexism
    otherwise Britain will sink deeper into a culture of sexism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Tom, thanks for the comment!
      I completely agree with you.
      As I said in my "Feminist, not Femi-Nazi" post, both men and women can identify as feminists, in the same way that both same-sex and straight couples can be in favour of gay marriage, and all races can be supporters of anti-racism.
      However, despite this, it's still rare (but oh, so refreshing) to actually hear a man stand up and say 'yes, I am a feminist and I am proud'.
      Hopefully this will change in coming years...

      Delete